Smoke detector ensured escape in Atchison house fire

(KAIR)--A working smoke detector is being credited for playing a role in saving lives after a fire began in the kitchen of an Atchison residence.

It happened Tuesday night, around 10:15, with a release from Atchison Fire Chief Patrick Weishaar saying crews rushed to 1123 South 7th Street, where they found heavy smoke coming from the front of the residence.

With all of the home's occupants escaping prior to the Fire Department's arrival, due to being awakenend by the sounding of the home's smoke detector, "crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire limiting the damage to the home," with the residence sustaining "minimal structural damage but will need to be repaired and cleaned due to the smoke damage and damage to the home- kitchen area."

According to Weishaar, it was determined that the fire had started accidentally on the stove and extended into the range hood and cabinets above.

One of the home's occupants was transported by private vehicle to Amberwell Atchison for evaluation, while another was treated and released at the scene by Atchison County EMS, which evaluated the home's occupants for smoke inhalation.

The Salvation Army is providing temporary lodging and assistance for the family.

Atchison Police also assisted at the scene of the Tuesday night fire.

Weishaar, in the release, says now that colder temperatures have arrived, the fire, and successful escape by the residents, can serve "to remind all our citizens the importance of working smoke detectors." If you or someone you know does not have a working smoke detector you’re urged to contact the Atchison Fire Department for assistance, with Weishaar asking the public to check the batteries and age of your current smoke detectors to ensure they are functioning properly.

© Many Signals Communications

You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.

Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.

Click here to review our Terms of Use.