Hiawatha airport project approved

(KNZA)--The next phase of improvements at the Hiawatha Municipal Airport will move forward--the installation of runway lighting.

The Hiawatha City Commission voted unanimously Monday evening to accept a bid from Atlas Electric for the project in the amount of $318,475--which includes the installation of a rotating beacon.

Public Works Director Brad Scott said due to the project coming in under the engineer's estimate, the city will able to install the rotating beacon as an addition to the base bid.

The city was awarded a grant earlier this year from the Kansas Department of Transportation that will fund 90 percent of the project cost, with the city responsible for the remaining 10 percent.

The project is to be completed this summer.

In other business, the commission on a 4-1 vote approved the purchase of a new sewer jet trailer from Armor Equipment in the amount of $120,678.

Commissioner Brian Shefferd cast the lone dissenting vote. He wanted to see the purchase pushed back a year so the capital outlay expenditure could go toward repair of the traffic lights at 1st and Oregon.

Commissioners were told the current sewer jet trailer, which is a late 90's model, has become unreliable and is difficult to operate.

Also the Commission approved moving forward with the re-location of the Frisbee golf course from Noble Park to the City Lake.

The course was installed in 2007 for an Eagle Scout Project.

Parks and Recreation Director Stacy Jasper said community member Matt Sprick visited with her several months ago about the possibility of re-locating the court and they both thought the City Lake would be the perfect spot.

She said Sprick has already volunteered to do a majority of the labor involved with the project, working with city staff as needed.

© Many Signals Communications

You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.

Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.

Click here to review our Terms of Use.