Boil Water Advisory issued for Ozawkie

(KAIR)--A Boil Water Advisory has been issued for the City of Ozawkie, located in Jefferson County.

According to a release from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, the issuance, affecting the public water supply system, was made Monday “because of a line break resulting in a loss of pressure in the system." According to KDHE, “failure to maintain adequate pressure may result in a loss of chlorine residuals and bacterial contamination.”

The Boil Water Advisory will remain in effect for Ozawkie “until the conditions that placed the system at risk of bacterial contamination are resolved.”

Ozawkie waster customers are advised to boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation. Use of bottled water is also encouraged.

Customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:

  • Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation or use bottled water.

  • Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.

  • If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.

  • Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.

  • Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.

Regardless of whether the public water supplier or Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) announced a boil water advisory, only KDHE can issue the rescind order following testing at a certified laboratory.

For consumer questions, please contact the water system at 785-876-2550, or KDHE at 785-296-5514. For consumer information please visit KDHE- PWS Consumer Information webpage:

Restaurants and other food establishments that have questions about the impact of the boil water advisory on their business can contact the Kansas Department of Agriculture- food safety & lodging program at or call 785-564-6767.

© Many Signals Communications

You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.

Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.

Click here to review our Terms of Use.