Wednesday, 28 September 2022
Login |  Register 
MSC News National Headlines Sports Top Headlines CBS US News CBS Technology
Funding approved for Peru water line project
01/19/2022

(KLZA)-- The community of Peru will receive nearly $7.7 million from the Nebraska Department of Environmental and Energy through the Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund Program to bring a new source of water of the community. 

Through this project Peru will receive water from the City of Auburn.  The Peru application ranked as high priority and  is included on the Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund Program for fiscal year 2022.

The need for the project was escalated when the Peru Water Treatment Plant was  inundated with water during the March, 2019 federally declared flood disaster, mainly due to a levee failure along the Missouri River. 

Peru has 758 residents according to the 2020 Census and is the home to Peru State College. 

The City of Auburn has stated they have adequate capacity to serve the residents of Peru and their existing customers.

Approximately 11-miles of water line will be constructed.  An 8-inch diameter potable water main from the Auburn water system will carry treated water to Peru. A small portion of 10-inch line will be installed along with a booster station to provide the necessary pressure for the water system interconnection. 

A National Environmental Protection Agency review will be required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and FEMA.  

Peru is eligible for a 40-year loan with zero percent interest.  The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund will fund 5 percent of the project costs coming to more than $384 thousand with the remaining 95 percent being grant funds from FEMA or match from the State of Nebraska.

Peru water rates are estimated to increase by $3.92 per month. The current base rate is $16 for the first one-thousand gallons with an added charge of $5 for every thousand gallons of water used.  

© Many Signals Communications
You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.
Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our Terms of Use.



MOST VIEWED STORIES
Multiple arrests in Hiawatha drug bust
Effingham man arrested following Atchison Co pursuit
Past sex crime holds one in Atchison County
More than $6M grant awarded to Holton company
Officials: KS deputy used Taser on child with autism
Friday bike crash leaves Atchison man injured
Woman killed in Washington, Co KS wreck
Reported handgun threat leaves Atchison man jailed
One stolen vehicle recovered, another sought
Charges filed in Jefferson Co shooting
One killed in Tuesday evening Pottawatomie Co crash
One injured in Richardson Co wreck
Charges filed in fatal Pott Co wreck
Arraignment set for woman charged in fatal Brown Co wreck
Two vehicle Atchison wreck requires hospital transport
Ongoing thefts investigated in Atchison Co
Jefferson Co wreck injures two
Gov. Kelly unveils Earhart statue in Atchison
Tribe request county allow Sunday beer sales
Deputy kick earns charge for accused thief

Click Here For All Stories


LATEST STORIES
Elwood man charged in burglary at Elwood plant
Deputy kick earns charge for accused thief
New Hiawatha pet fees set
Grand Marshall's selected for Peru State Homecoming parade
New surgeon at hospital in Auburn
Tribe request county allow Sunday beer sales
Commission meets with potential city administrator candidate
One killed in Tuesday evening Pottawatomie Co crash
Three injured in NW Missouri wrecks
Listen: Hungary's President visits Atchison's BC
Click Here For All Stories

©2022 MSC News
Hiawatha, Ks 66434
EEO Public Report
KNZA - KLZA - KMZA - KTNC - KAIR
Powered by Radio Media Group
172.70.175.82